January 23, 2013
DC Heats Up as Temperatures Drop
(Washington, DC) – Recognized by Yahoo Travel as one of the United States’ unexpectedly romantic cities, DC’s exceptional dining experiences, extraordinary hotels, moonlit monuments and limitless cultural possibilities create the perfect recipe for a romantic weekend escape. Capitalizing on these amour-inducing experiences, Destination DC, the official tourism and marketing corporation for Washington, DC, launches Date Nights DC “Get A Room,” a five-week long marketing campaign to inspire consumers to visit Washington, DC for a date night or romantic weekend in February.
Visitors and residents alike can choose from 33 deals at DC area attractions and 10 romantic hotel packages featured on Datenightsdc.org during February, traditionally a slow period for the city’s hospitality industry. Additionally, seven LivingSocial hotel deals will be promoted to more than 10 million email subscribers beginning January 23, 2013. LivingSocial is a partner of the Date Nights DC campaign for the second year.
In addition to the dedicated website, the campaign is encapsulated in a 30-second ad that focuses on a couple in a provocative encounter in a restaurant, turning the heads of their fellow patrons. This awkward moment serves as the setup for the line that comes to everyone’s mind when confronted with this type of situation - “Get a Room.” The 30-second spot communicates the desired consumer action – booking a hotel room.
“This year’s Date Nights DC is the ideal opportunity for us to step outside the traditional monument and museum centric advertising to create a campaign that highlights DC in a fun, if unexpected, way,” said Elliott L. Ferguson, president and CEO of Destination DC. “The ‘Get a Room’ campaign positions DC as romantic destination year round and directly drives consumers to book hotel rooms. Typically, visitors who stay in a hotel are likely to dine out, visit our world-class attractions and utilize transportation which means increased business for the entire hospitality industry.”
Some of the Date Nights DC packages include:
- A Ruff Night and Day at the Fairmont Hotel that includes luxurious accommodations for two and a canine companion, a romantic in-room dinner for three, afternoon tea for three and more. Rates vary based on availability.
- The Ultimate Slumber Party at The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel which includes chocolate-covered strawberries, a bottle of champagne, $50 in-room dining and unlimited in-room movies, all provided nightly. Rates vary based on availability.
- Crimes of Passion at the Crime Museum – Couples will be bound together before they set off on a tour of the museum which includes the crimes of passion exhibit. Available for $45 per couple.
- L’Amour at The Washington Ballet which highlights the many aspects of love from opulent lust, passion and betrayal to love and longing through works from three of today’s most exciting choreographers. Available for $32 - $111.25.
- “In Paradise It’s Always Mating Season” - National Geographic Museum’s Birds of Paradise: Amazing Avian Evolution exhibit which includes interactive experiences such as “Dance, Dance Evolution” where visitors turn into birds-of-paradise using XBOX Kinect technology and dance to compete to win a mate. Admission is $8 for two people.
The new Date Nights DC campaign was created by MDB Communications, the creative agency of record for Destination DC. The campaign targets consumers within a 200 mile radius of DC with an emphasis on local drive markets Philadelphia and Richmond. It consists of print and video ads that will be featured in media outlets including print, online, outdoor, radio and cinema that will run January 23 through February 28. The campaign is designed to drive hotel bookings, restaurant reservations and visits to the city’s world-class tourist attractions during February, a traditionally slow period for visitation to the city.
For a complete list of packages and hotel deals, please visit Datenightsdc.org.
# # #
About Destination DC
Destination DC, the lead destination marketing organization for the nation’s capital, is a private, non-profit membership organization of more than 800 businesses committed to marketing the area as a premier global convention, tourism and special events destination with a special emphasis on the arts, cultural and historic communities. www.washington.org