You are here
Unrivaled access to government leaders, Congress and policymakers.
Washington, DC’s role as the advocacy capital of the world drives success for business events. Add value for your attendees by tapping into DC’s network of federal policymakers, prospective industry sponsors or high-level speakers. Washington is an epicenter of think tanks, lobbying firms and both national and international associations. Book your next meeting in DC and take advantage of all the assets that can only be found in the nation's capital.
- Approximately one out of every 10 jobs in the DC region is in the federal government (WTOP, 2018)
- Over 11,270 lobbyists in Washington, DC spent $2.59 billion in 2018. Top industries include pharmaceuticals/health products, insurance, electronics and business associations. (Center for Responsive Politics)
- Major trade groups and organizations such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Realtors and Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America lead the list of top lobbying spenders in 2018. (Center for Responsive Politics)
- Approximately 400 think tanks located here include the Brookings Institution, the Council on Foreign Relations and the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. (TripSavvy, 2018)
- Fifty-four percent of the 364,000 people employed by the federal government in the region are headquartered in DC (District’s Office of Revenue Analysis, 2017)
- DC has the 5th largest dollar economy in America, equivalent in size to Sweden and Taiwan (City Lab, 2017)
- DC is the only place where groups can meet with congressional leaders, hold a legislative day on Capitol Hill or educate policymakers.
- Washington, DC has unparalleled access to high-level speakers, such as presidential cabinet secretaries or federal policymakers.
- The region is home to many influential media outlets that cover government relations including ABC, CBS, CNN, C-Span, Fox News, National Public Radio, NBC, POLITICO and The Washington Post.
- The city is a global hub for non-governmental organizations such as the American Red Cross International Services, Salvation Army World Service Office and United Way Worldwide.
- Most federal agencies are headquartered in the DC area, including the National Weather Service, the Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Geological Survey.
- Tap into 15 executive departments that are the main agencies of the federal government with more than 250 sub-agencies under the executive branch.
- Fifteen local universities have significant credentials in government, offering courses and connections to key policymakers and political institutes.
- Georgetown University is ranked the #1 science and government college in the U.S. (College Factual, 2018)
- George Washington University is ranked #1 in the U.S. for political science and government degrees. (Department of Education, 2016)
- DC is ranked #2 in the U.S. for the highest number of political science and government graduates per year. (Department of Education, 2016)
- International Gas Union leaders as the 27th World Gas Conference focused on educating policy makers on the importance of gas in an increasingly carbon constrained environment.
- Destination Capitol Hill in April is the U.S. Travel Association’s premier legislative fly-in to educate policymakers about the economic impact of travel.
- The annual American Israel Public Affairs Committee policy conference is the largest gathering of America's pro-Israel community.
- The annual Congressional Black Caucus Foundation conference works to advance the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public.
- The American Association for Cancer and over 300 national organizations host the Rally for Medical Research Hill Day, calling on policymakers to make funding for National Institutes of Health a national priority.
- The Washington Auto Show’s MobilityTalks International conference gathers government policy makers to exchange ideas on best practices related to the development and regulation of connected and autonomous vehicles.
Interested in learning more about Washington, DC as a leading destination for industry meetings? Connect with Destination DC staff for more information.