The city has 24 new hotels and 6,090 additional rooms in the pipeline including renovations, new hotels and new brands in neighborhoods throughout the city.
In 2022, eight total new hotels and new brands opened across Washington, DC, including The Morrow a Curio Collection by Hilton, the Pendry Hotel at the Wharf and Salamander Washington DC. In 2023, three new hotels are set to open in DC.
Opening in 2023 and beyond:
• Marriott Washington DC NE (January 2023): A new Marriott property is part of the mixed-use project NoMa CNTR. Features of the 235-room hotel include a glass-enclosed two-story lobby, a large ballroom, an outdoor terrace, an onsite restaurant with indoor and outdoor dining, a rooftop bar and event space, fitness facilities and Marriott’s M club.
• MOB Hotel (2023): a stylish Paris-based chain anchored by design team lead Philippe Starck is expected to open its first of five planned North American hotels in DC. The brand embraces neighborhood culture and programs, art talks and regular concerts in its lobbies. The hotel will feature 144 rooms and rooftop views of the U.S. Capitol along with live music, a restaurant, bar and cinema.
• Royal Sonesta (Spring 2023): The second Royal Sonesta in Washington, DC will open near Union Station. Part of a mixed-use complex that will include retail and office space, the 274-room hotel is slated to debut in the spring. The building will offer additional rooftop and conference space with views of iconic landmarks.
• Arlo (2024): The boutique hotel brand is expected to debut its first Washington, DC hotel in 2023 near the H Street corridor. The 445-room hotel will incorporate one of DC’s oldest surviving apartment buildings, the 1888 Harrison apartments. The hotel will feature two restaurants, a fitness room, a penthouse pool and lounge, ground-floor retail, a bodega and a tucked-away speakeasy.
• Avid Downtown (2025): The first Avid Hotel opens in DC in 2025. Part of IHG Hotels & Resort, Avid is a midscale modern-design brand focused on sound sleep, good value and complimentary breakfast.
• The Morrow Hotel Washington, DC Curio Collection by Hilton (Nov. 28, 2022): The 203-room hotel is in The Morrow at Central Armature Works, a redeveloped site in the emerging NoMA neighborhood directly next to the NoMa/Galludet Metro station. The upscale brand from Hilton is in a three-tower mixed use project alongside two resident towers. The hotel is seeking LEED Silver certification and includes outdoor event space, indoor and outdoor food and beverage spaces and a rooftop with views of the city.
• Salamander Washington, DC (Sep. 8, 2022): Middleburg, Virginia based Salamander Hotels & Resorts took over a 373-key property in Southwest DC, formerly Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. This is the first for the brand in Washington, DC. The property is undergoing a phased renovation.
• Pendry Hotel Washington D.C. – The Wharf (Oct. 29, 2022): The multi-faceted property features 131 waterfront guestrooms, 34 suites. It has three dining and bar concepts, Spa Pendry and 5,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor event and meeting space.
• citizenM Washington DC NoMa (Aug. 2022): Situated in the heart of NoMa near the metro and Union Market, the 292-key property is the city’s second citizenM hotel. Staples of the beloved European brand include King-sized beds, MoodPads, HD-TVs with streaming, free Wi-Fi, blackout blinds and rain showers. The hotel has a ground floor restaurant and bar, meeting space and fitness center. The lower level of the property offers bike storage, showers and changing facilities.
• Selina (Jun. 2022): The DC property opened June 15 and is designed in partnership with local artists, creators, and tastemakers. Located in the NoMA neighborhood, Selina features 106 guest rooms and offers curated local experiences. The hotel plans to attract the Millennial and Gen Z market with value-priced accommodations and local experiences, branding itself as being designed for digital nomads and the modern traveler.
• Holiday Inn Express Washington DC Downtown (May 2022): Located a few blocks from Mount Vernon Triangle Metro station, the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and Capital One Arena, the 14-story hotel features 247 contemporary guest rooms, free Wi-Fi, a 24-hour fitness center and a complimentary hot breakfast bar. Flexible meeting space on the top floor offers views of the U.S. Capitol and each room is equipped with a microwave, mini-refrigerator and 43" TV. Other amenities include onsite parking.
• Waldorf Astoria Washington, DC (Jun. 2022): Waldorf Astoria Washington DC is now open in the nation’s capital, bringing stunning design and unforgettable experiences to Pennsylvania Avenue. Inspired by the legacy of the Old Post Office, which embodies a grand vision and limitless potential - and guided by Waldorf Astoria’s iconic history Waldorf Astoria Washington DC offers events, meetings a spa and deluxe guest rooms.
• AC Hotel Washington DC Capitol Hill Navy Yard (Feb. 2022): Opened in February, the AC Hotel Washington DC is situated between DC’s Capitol Hill neighborhood, Navy yard and the attractions on the National Mall. The modern hotel features 225 spacious guest rooms, many with two queen beds, and several with private balconies and Capitol views. There’s also a 10,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art fitness center, flexible meeting and light-filled event spaces and a large rooftop restaurant and bar named Smoke & Mirrors. The restaurant can accommodate 200 people indoors and another 150 outdoors. In addition to the rooftop restaurant, there is a main floor all-day restaurant.
• Courtyard by Marriott Washington DC Dupont Circle (Jan. 2022): Formally the Kimpton Topaz hotel, the newly-renovated Courtyard by Marriott features a contemporary design in the historic Dupont Circle neighborhood a few blocks from the National Geographic Museum. The hotel includes a 24-hour fitness center and 143 guest rooms available in kings or double queens with large windows with views of the neighborhood and St. Matthew’s Basilica. The lobby welcomes leisure and business travelers alike with two dining options, check-in pods and private booths equipped with built in monitors.