Your guide to Washington Monument tour and ticket information for groups and individuals visiting the nation’s capital.
If you’re looking to get tickets to the top or learn more, read below for some helpful tips for both groups and individuals to keep in mind when visiting the iconic monument built to honor George Washington, the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army and the first president of the United States.
Where can I reserve tickets in advance?
Advance reservation tickets can be reserved online through recreation.gov up to 30 days in advance (up to six tickets per transaction). While visiting the Washington Monument is free, a convenience fee of $1 USD will be charged for each ticket. This fee is non-refundable.
There are also a limited number of tickets made available at 10 a.m. each day for the next day's visits (for example: On May 7 at 10 a.m., tickets will become available for visits on May 8).
How do I acquire advance reservation tickets to the Washington Monument?
Inventory for the next available day becomes available at 10 a.m. each morning. During peak season (March-August, late December-early January), demand for tickets is very high. Advance tickets may sell out within seconds.
How do I acquire same-day tickets for the Washington Monument?
Day-of walk-up tickets are distributed each morning at 8:45 a.m. at the Washington Monument Lodge, located on Madison Drive on the east side of the monument grounds. During peak season (March-August, late December-early January), demand for tickets is very high and the line begins forming as early as 7 a.m.
What are the ticketed time slots and how many tickets are available per time slot?
The Washington Monument is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily except for Dec. 25, July 4 and part of July 3 and one day per month for scheduled maintenance. Tickets are scheduled every half hour from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
How will the tickets be delivered?
Visitors can access purchased tickets via confirmation email or by visiting “My Reservations” on Recreation.gov. All visitors must print their tickets in advance or have their tickets available to view on a mobile device. Please ensure you have these tickets prior to arriving at the Washington Monument.
Can tickets be returned?
Yes, tickets can be cancelled until 2 p.m. the day prior to the tour. The convenience fee for purchase is non-refundable. In the case that the Monument must close, tickets will not be exchanged or refunded.
What time should visitors arrive before their ticketed time?
Visitors must arrive by the time on their ticket. If late, National Park Service staff has discretion to limit/deny monument entry.
What is security like at the Washington Monument?
The Washington Monument renovations have led to adjustments in security procedures. Please keep in mind:
- It is best to bring as little to the Washington Monument as possible. Water is only allowed in clear plastic bottles. Individuals do need to pass through a security area similar to an airport.
- Park Rangers will direct you to the security screening area in small groups.
- All visitors are subject to security screening.
- Weapons, strollers and bulky items are prohibited. Wheelchairs are permitted.
- Check online for a full list of restricted items.
What is the tour flow after security?
- Visitors will be directed to the Washington Monument's ground floor lobby.
- Approximately 15 people will be allowed onto the elevator from the hallway by a National Park Service Ranger.
- The express ascent to the top floor (500 feet above the ground) lasts approximately 70 seconds.
- Groups may remain on the Observation Level for as long as they like.
- At the end of the visit, a park ranger will help you board the elevator for the descent, during which some of the commemorative stones on the monument’s interior walls will be visible.
Is there still a stairway tour?
No, stairway tours are no longer available.
Will the Washington Monument have extended hours during the busy season?
Not at the moment. During peak season (March-July), demand for tickets is very high. Advance tickets may sell out within minutes.
More About DC
You may also like..