You are here

Guide to Visiting the Reopened Washington Monument

Washington Monument from the Tidal Basin during cherry blossom season - The National Mall in Washington, DC

Gaze up at this iconic stone obelisk, the defining feature of DC's skyline and one of the nation’s most recognizable structures, which reopened to the public on Sept. 19, 2019.

The Washington Monument reopened on Sept. 19 after a renovation that modernized the elevator and increased long-term reliability and safety. Check the National Park Service's website for updates before you plan your visit.

Built to honor George Washington, the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army and the first president of the United States, the Washington Monument was once the tallest building in the world at just over 555 feet. The monument to America’s first president still holds the title of world’s tallest stone structure and obelisk.

@wandering.photon - Washington Monument on the National Mall - Washington, DC

The New & Improved Washington Monument

Recently reopened on Sept. 19, 2019, the Washington Monument has raised expectations for visitors with a new state-of-the-art elevator that will efficiently move hundreds of visitors up to the observation deck daily. The minute-long ride up 50 stories to the top of the world's tallest free-standing stone structure includes a video from the National Park Service about what to expect. From the observation deck, you can see nearly 25 miles into the horizon in every direction, including landmarks like the U.S. Capitol, the White House, Arlington National Cemetery and the Washington National Cathedral.

Part of what makes traveling in the elevator so historic is that, on the two-minute descent, it offers a glimpse of the interior walls, which are lined with stones that commemorate George Washington, placed by states, civic groups and others. The modern system gives the National Park Service operators better control of the elevator with remote access from the ground.

Before experiencing the new elevator, visitors will encounter another improvement to traveling to the top of the Washington Monument – an upgraded security screening facility at the base of the structure. The new security structure can accommodate up to 20 visitors and has more modern screening equipment.

Tickets for the Washington Monument may be ordered online for tour dates up to 90 days in advance. Additional tickets listed as "Not Yet Released" are made available the day prior to the desired tour date at 10 a.m. EST. Same-day tickets are also available on a first-come, first-served basis daily starting at 8:30 a.m. at the Washington Monument Lodge, located on 15th Street between Madison Drive NW and Jefferson Drive SW. The Washington Monument is open daily from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Find out more information with our Washington Monument tour and ticket guide for both groups and individuals.

More on the Washington Monument

Maintained by the National Park Service, the Washington Monument is located on the center of the National Mall between the U.S. Capitol and Lincoln Memorial. The easiest way to get to the monument is by taking the Metro. The two closest Metro stops are Federal Triangle and Smithsonian, both on the Blue, Orange and Silver lines. If traveling by bus, take DC Circulator’s National Mall route or ride Metrobus routes 32, 34 or 36. If driving, visitor parking is available on Ohio Drive, between the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials. Note that street parking is often limited near the National Mall.

Visit the famous monuments and memorials in Washington, DC - Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and more

@laurenepbath - Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool & Washington Monument - Washington, DC

Why does the Washington Monument have two colors?

It wasn't easy to build Washington Monument. The structure was originally designed by Robert Mills, with construction beginning in 1848. The combination of the Civil War, the Know Nothing Party's rise to control of the Washington National Monument Society through an illegal election and lack of funding led to a halt in construction in 1854. When construction resumed in 1879, marble was used from a different quarry, and time and weather erosion have led to the difference in color, which begins at the 150-foot mark.

The monument was finally completed in 1884 by Thomas Casey and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and an elevator was added to the monument in 1889.

Discover Washington, DC in 360 Degree Video - Plan a Trip to DC