You are here
Marketing & Communications Highlights
The latest news from Destination DC's Marketing & Communications team.
- Destination DC’s (DDC) website, washington.org, has been updated for the winter season as part of the winter/holidays advertising campaign. Print, digital and out-of-home placements target potential visitors in the Northeast Corridor, and drive them to the Winter Wonderland landing page where they can discover free things to do, can’t-miss holiday events and light displays, holiday-themed performances and shows, the best places to ice skate in the city, member deals and things to do for the month. The campaign is being supported by DDC’s social media channels and editorial pitches around holiday messaging.
- DDC's content and media relations teams are also continuing to promote visitation to the Southwest quadrant with new events, openings and activations coming soon to The Wharf, as well as the grand opening of the Museum of the Bible (Nov. 17). After taking a tour of the new museum, the content team created and published a guide to experiencing the Museum of the Bible, maximizing potential visits to the website ahead of the opening. The content has been, and will continue to be, promoted on DDC's social media channels.
- DC’s second Michelin Guide was released on Oct. 20. DDC has updated its corresponding content based on the new guide, which can be found on the Places to Eat landing page. The city’s status as a culinary capital is highlighted in a guide to the Michelin restaurants and articles on Michelin’s Bib Gourmands and the hottest new restaurants, among others.
- Vanessa Casas, DDC’s international media relations manager, recently joined the tourism team on international sales and media missions to China (Oct. 30 – Nov. 3) and Brazil (Nov. 6-10). In China, DDC met with key tour operators as well as top travel and trade media in Shanghai and Beijing before the organization’s inaugural Customer Advisory Retreat in Sanya, covered by Travel Weekly China. In Brazil, DDC hosted receptions for tour operators and travel media in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro to support United’s nonstop service to Dulles Airport.
- Several members of the marketing and communications team have been promoted. Robin McClain has been promoted to senior vice president, marketing and communications. Kate Gibbs is now Senior Manager, Domestic Media Relations, and Cara Hedgepeth is now Social Media Specialist. Lauren Parker joins the department as its new marketing assistant. Lauren most recently worked with Cornett Advertising, where she directly supported account planners on the Visit Lex (Lexington, Ky. DMO) account.
Recent stories we’ve pitched
Domestically, DC received coverage from major outlets such as USA Today and Condé Nast Traveler. Internationally, the nation’s capital was the subject of features in British and Brazilian publications.
The Washington Diplomat published a feature on innovative and historic hotel lobbies throughout the District.
The Washington Diplomat, October Issue: Local Properties Look to Their Lobbies to Make Lasting First Impression
Kate Armstrong highlights Capitol Riverfront in her piece on hip neighborhoods in the U.S.
Lonely Planet, Oct. 4: Hot ‘hoods in the US: 10 neighborhoods you need to visit
Zach Everson of Condé Nast Traveler discusses the opening of the District’s hottest new development, The Wharf.
Condé Nast Traveler, Oct. 12: The Wharf Opens in Washington, D.C.
Nancy Trejos of USA Today provides hotel updates for cities throughout the U.S., including DC.
USA Today, Oct. 23: October hotel roundup: The latest openings, renovations, brand updates
Avianca Brazil, an in-flight magazine, published an extensive feature on DC, which highlighted DDC members Ben’s Chili Bowl, the National Museum of African American History and Culture and Jaleo.
Avianca Brazil, October Issue: Um Sonho Em Washington
IN10 Magazine, a British publication launched by The Sunday Post, featured DC’s iconic attractions and neighborhoods in its Oct. 15 issue. Highlighted members include the National Air and Space Museum, the International Spy Museum, The Wharf and Union Market.
IN10 Magazine, Oct. 15: Washington is a real vote winner
Elliott Ferguson was selected as a “Selfie Star” in Smart Meetings’ annual CVB selfie contest. His photo captured a hard hat tour of The Wharf.
Smart Meetings, October Issue: Selfie Star