You are here
Marketing & Communications Highlights
The latest news from Destination DC's Marketing & Communications team.
- DDC is currently running its #MyDCcool Summer Sweeps, which began in June and concludes in August. A different package is offered for each month, including airfare, a hotel stay, food, admission to attractions and an American Express gift card. The sweepstakes is being promoted on washington.org and DDC’s consumer Twitter and Facebook accounts. July partners include Embassy Row Hotel, American Airlines, Ben’s Chili Bowl, All-Purpose Pizzeria, Jaleo and Pinstripes. On its industry-focused Facebook account, DDC is highlighting a new member every Monday for “Member Mondays,” and will also be posting weekly recap photo albums to showcase the organization’s accomplishments and activities.
- The team is preparing to unveil 360-degree videos of numerous DC sites on washington.org. The videos, which consist of dozens of first-person point-of-view adventures, will be displayed on a newly designed video landing page, and will be embedded into existing content. DDC is hoping to have the project fully launched by July 31.
- DDC’s annual Marketing Outlook Meeting will take place on Aug. 22 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater. With a theme of “What’s Trending,” the meeting will dive into the latest trends in the travel industry, from hotel forecast data to U.S. travel policy to international marketing strategies. The following individuals will speak at the event: Elliott Ferguson, president and CEO of DDC, Chris Klauda, Director of Destination Research at STR Inc., Jonathan Grella, Executive Vice President of Public Affairs for U.S. Travel Association and Thomas Garzilli, Chief Marketing Officer for Brand USA. You can register via this link.
- DDC is supporting the upcoming Citi Open (July 29 – Aug. 6) with promotion on washington.org and on its social media channels. The team has a ticket giveaway planned for Twitter. In addition, Citi Open is offering a 20% discount to sessions 3-7 and 9 in support of DDC’s American Experience Foundation, with 25% of the proceeds going directly to the Foundation. This offer will also be promoted.
- While attending Destination Marketing Association International’s (DMAI) 2017 Annual Convention in Montreal, Canada with members of DDC’s senior staff, Robin McClain, VP of Marketing and Communications, will present a case study to attendees. Robin is presenting alongside Katie Briscoe, Executive Vice President of Client Services for MMGY, on the refreshed washington.org that launched last year. The presentation will dive into how the DC Cool campaign and the content of DCcool.com were integrated into the new washington.org, which has experienced great success.
Recent stories we’ve pitched
IPW 2017 in DC was covered by both national and international publications. Domestically, Capital Pride and DC hotels made news. Internationally, China MICE publications spotlighted the District.
IPW 2017 Coverage
DC’s hosting of the premier travel conference with record journalist attendance generated a wealth of coverage both domestically and internationally. Initial results included:
- Clarin.com (Argentina), How was America’s largest tourism fair in the Trump era
- Travel Inside (Switzerland), Directly from IPW in Washington: US tourism is fighting hard
- Tour Hebdo (France), IPW 2017: The United States hopes to reassure
- Philippine Star (Philippines), The Capital of Cool
- Washington Business Journal, DC area in sales overdrive as it hosts international tourism meeting for first time and DC mayor welcomes massive international travel conference with a personal touch
- BizBash, A Look Inside the Largest U.S Travel Conference to Date
Stephanie Kanowitz details how area hotels are emphasizing fitness in this syndicated column.
The Washington Post, May 31: Hotels put bigger focus on fitness with in-room equipment
Elite Traveler, a magazine featured on private jets, published its own guide to the District.
Elite Traveler, May/June 2017 Issue: Guide to Washington, DC
Out Magazine featured a guide to Capital Pride in DC.
Out Magazine, June 10: A Guide to Capital Pride in Washington D.C.
DC was highlighted in the June issue of China Traveler Magazine, which has a circulation of 338,000. Its readers rank among the highest net worth Chinese-speaking travelers.
China Traveler Magazine, June Issue
Meetings and Conventions China also focused on DC. The magazine has a circulation of 10,000 and targets a quality audience of meeting professionals.
Meetings and Conventions China, June Issue