Conference and Event Updates
Destination DC (DDC) has seen losses of more than $631 million in cancellations from 64 large-scale events and impactful groups. Out of the 64, 37 were set to actualize in 2020 to the tune of $373 million. Twenty-seven 2021 events with a combined $258 million economic impact have canceled. The $631 million loss does not account for meetings held inside hotels and leisure groups.
DOMESTIC CONVENTION SALES:
The sales team once again focused on a new proactive engagement plan for client outreach, with an emphasis on personalized touchpoints, program restructuring and rebooking, and customer engagement. In addition to continued efforts to engage with customers via various channels, the team conducted over 30 presentations, virtual client sales calls and virtual events throughout the month of May. Significant accounts include:
- Infectious Disease Society of America
- Association of American Law Schools
- American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy
- Family, Career and Community Leaders of America
- International Leadership Association
- American Speech Language Hearing Association
Return of Convention Center activity
We are thrilled to announce that many of our customers have chosen to produce face to face events in the summer and fall. These impactful groups have confirmed their events will take place in Washington, DC in the next few months:
- Association of the United States Army
- Association for Financial Professional
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
Plants Alive Virtual Event
DDC conducted the virtual event for:
- American Medical Association
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- America’s Health Insurance Plans
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Counties
As the city begins to reopen, clients are becoming more comfortable with conducting site inspections at our various hotels and venues. Site inspections that took place during the month of May include:
- Modern Language Association of America
- National Association of Community Health Centers
- The College Music Society
- Electrical Apparatus Service Association
International Convention Sales:
International Familiarization (FAM) Trip
- DDC welcomed 35+ international incentive convention planners from the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Spain, Sweden, and the U.S. into a virtual space exploring all things Washington, DC. We partnered with amazing member organizations including International Spy Museum, Capital City Events, CSI DMC and PRA. The FAM was designed to be immersive and engaging while showcasing the incredibly diverse incentive landscape of the city.
- Tara Miller serves on the Regional Economic Development Strategy (REDS) committee for Connected DMV. The organization’s purpose is to help solve complex regional challenges and deliver results that empower and enrich the lives of all. The values they share are embodied in what goes on every day at Connected DMV. They work together toward a shared vision to develop new, transformational approaches that eliminate social inequities and renew economic prosperity throughout our region. The initiatives bring together profoundly diverse people and organizations to shift mindsets and narratives, connect across our different interests and ideas, and deliver innovative solutions together for the betterment of the DMV. The REDS Working Group identified focus areas with great potential for multi-sector, multi-jurisdiction pursuit as part of a marketing and branding initiative.
- DDC is focused on recovery efforts and is working closely with hospitality industry partners on planning and identifying potential sources of funding for marketing as well as sustaining the organization. DDC also convenes its Recovery Advisory Group monthly to strategize and develop programs to boost recovery efforts for the city and DDC members.
In House Client Advisory Council
- A facilitated discussion with both third party and end user clients that work in our hotel space booking events 600 rooms on peak and below
1:1 Mid-West Client Meetings
Check out the full Destination DC Member eNews to learn more about what's going on this month.