Join our professional guide for an overnight backpacking trip on the iconic Appalachian Trail
Our days will be filled with scenic forests that give way to sweeping vistas. Throughout, you will gain insight into the local history and ecosystems, while we keep an eye out for the critters that call this area home. On day one, you'll meet your guide near a REI store and assess your gear, pack your packs, and then depart for the trailhead in the REI van. Once on the trail, your guide will explain how to choose and use equipment to maximize your comfort, safety and fun. You'll also learn about campsite selection, route planning, camp cooking, water treatment, wildlife precautions and Leave No Trace etiquette. Please note that this trip does involve strenuous exercise, so participants should be comfortable traversing uneven terrain carrying a 35lb pack. An 6 to 8 mile hike each day (12 to 16 miles total) through storied and scenic sections of the AT makes for a perfect introductory backpacking experience. We provide all meals, backpacking gear, and roundtrip transportation from the meeting location.
Gear provided by REI
- Backpack - Internal frame 45-65 liter pack.
- Backpacking Stove
- Dinner - Food supplied for dinner
- Energy Snacks
- Group First Aid Kit - Contents include wound care items and over the counter medications for minor injuries and illnesses
- Sleeping Pad - Closed cell foam or self inflatable.
- Three Season Backpacking Tent
- Three Season Sleeping Bag - A bag rated 15 degrees plus.
- Trekking Poles